Advanced and Specialty Training Courses
4th Year +
CANADIAN FORCES BASIC PARACHUTIST
The Canadian Forces Basic Parachutist Course provides cadets an opportunity to develop the skills and knowledge to become a Canadian Forces Basic Paratrooper. Cadets applying for this course must be certified by a CF medical officer as being physically and mentally fit, be 16 years if age by 1 July of the year of training and shall not have reached 19 years of age during the course, have no participation limitations which may preclude them from participating in intense level physical training activities in remote locations and in high altitudes, have achieved the minimum fitness requisite of 31 sit-ups and 7 chin-ups and a 1600 metre run in under 7:30 minutes, and have successfully completed Gold Star.
FULL-BORE MARKSMAN - PHASE 2
The aim of this seven-week course is to develop a specialist with the attitude, skills and subject matter knowledge required to participate in competitive fullbore marksmanship as a member of a competitive team. The cadet will be provided with the necessary theoretical, technical, and practical skills required to participate as a largebore 7.62mm rifle competitor. The cadet will participate in the Canadian National Cadet Fullbore Championship, the Ontario Rifle Associations’ Provincial Fullbore Championship and the Dominion of Canada Rifle Associations’ National Fullbore Championship.
- Prerequisites: Must be medically fit, have completed Gold Star training by 30 Jun 15, be motivated to pursue marksmanship training and be invited to attend based on their standing on the Fullbore Marksman Phase I Course.
- Training Centre: Connaught (Ottawa, ON)
LEADERSHIP AND CHALLENGE
The aim of this six-week course is to develop a specialist with the skills and subject matter knowledge required to be an instructor and team leader for Expedition activities within the Army cadet program. The aim will be accomplished by providing dynamic and challenging training that offers ample opportunity for practical application. The cadets will learn advanced theoretical and technical skills required to assist in the delivery of Expedition Training at the Corps. This course will ensure the cadets are adequately prepared to face challenges at the Corps and as staff cadets.
- Prerequisites: Must be medically and physically fit, have no participation limitations which may preclude them from participating in intense level adventure training activities in remote locations and in high altitudes, have achieved minimum the Bronze Level of the Cadet Fitness Assessment Incentive Level, be motivated to pursue outdoor leadership and adventure training activities, have completed Gold Star training by 30 Jun. Priority will be given to those cadets with a higher ranking in the National Star of Excellence (NSE).
- Training Centre: Rocky Mountain (Canmore, AB)
ADVANCED TRAINING - STAFF CADETS
Staff Cadets undergo advanced training which includes being mentored by adult leaders and senior staff cadets. Staff Cadets provide leadership, instruction and support to course Cadets at a Cadet Summer Training Centre (CSTC). Staff cadets are the Non-Commissioned Officers of the Summer Training Centres. A staff cadet can assist the officer staff with the instruction and supervision of cadets, or might be tasked in an administrative or logistical support role. Rank and pay for staff cadets depend upon the position; this is usually determined during a pre-course training and evaluation period Participation by the staff cadet during authorized CSTC summer training constitutes advanced training. Advanced training staff cadets are divided into two distinct categories:
- Type 1: Training; and
- Type 2: Training Support.
Examples of staff cadet assignments include recreational sports staff, division / platoon / flight staff and administration staff. Staff cadets receive an advanced training allocation ranging from $71.00 to $95.00 per day depending on their rank. Cadets applying for staff may not be less than 16 years of age as of the first day of January of the year of advanced training.
- Prerequisites: Must be medically fit, have completed Gold Star training by 30 Jun, be motivated to lead, supervise, and instruct course cadets. A staff cadet applicant must be at least 16 on 1 January of the year of application.
- Training Centres: Connaught (Ottawa, ON), Blackdown (CFB Borden, ON), Whitehorse (Whitehorse, YK), Rocky Mountain (Cochrane, AB), and more.